Sunday, May 24, 2009

Birthday Fun

Yesterday I celebrated my first ever birthday in the Northern Hemisphere. It couldn't have been a more perfect day. It started with a sleep in and a visit to the gym. When I arrived home, the kids and John had presents for me - a new Pandora Charm, two tickets to the Tragically Hip Concert at the K-Rock Center and some shopping money.
We decided to go to lunch as a family and since it was my choice, it was Red Lobster. We had a great time and the very friendly waiter had a brother in Australia so we had a good chat. For a chain restaurant, it was pretty good. John and I enjoyed the lobster andd shrimp meals.
After lunch, it was off to one of my favourite places - the mall. Max came with me and we searched for some new T-Shirts for him. Aeropostle is the choice of style for every self respecting 12 year old boy in Kingston so Max had to get himself suitably attired. I even managed to get some Columbia gear for myself. It will come in handy when we travel out east for the summer.
By the time we got home, Emily had made a fantastic cake and had decorated it beautifully. So fresh and moist, the family devoured it immediately.
In the evening, it was time for John and I to go to the Tragically Hip Concert at the K-Rock Centre. What a chance to get out on what seemed like a date without the kids! Neither of us could really remember the last time we went to a real rock concert. We must be getting old. 20 years ago we would have been drinking and partying with the best of them. Instead, we set off with our bottles of water in tow. John remembered to take his glasses so he could see the stage. I wish I had mine. We also had to have a couple of toilet breaks during the performance and were quite shocked when the guy next to us lit up a joint and happily imbibed for the duration of the concert. What was even more concerning was that he was with his mum! Oh boy, we are getting old and conservative.
Nevertheless, the concert was fantastic. The crowd was rocking and the "Hip", a local Kinstonian band, made good, rocked out the stadium for about three hours. I guess the style of music would be a cross between Midnight Oil and Paul Kelly. I bought a CD and hope to use my contacts to get it signed by the band for my Aussie friend Dom, who is their biggest fan!
Driving home, I really thought that it had been a most perfect day. I couldn't ask for more; a great family and a unique adventure in a fabulous place.
If any of you blog readers ever get the chance to enjoy a teaching exchange, get out there and do it. You wont regret the experience.

3 comments:

David said...

You look fabulous for forty! And speaking of the Hip (Tragically, that is) you will have to make sure you get a copy of 'Fully, Completely' (or 'Road Apples', or 'Trouble at the Henhouse' or 'Music @ Work' or 'World Container') for your upcoming drive to Barrys Bay. Enjoy the Cottage, and email me for directions for the best drive!

Gaye said...

Hi, Deb and Mal Ballintine told us to look up your blog, it is great, keep up the great work. We too are on exchange, with 3 kids, the eldest a girl and a boy named Max, who is in to soccer and swimming. We are at Bainbridge Is, WA USA. Looks like we have lots in common!

Anonymous said...

Only 40? David, flattery will get you everywhere! We are looking forward to our visit to Barry's Bay next weekend and hope to meet you and your family as well as catching up with John, Susan and girls.Cant wait to see the cottage!
I am happy to say I have two "Hip" albums on my IPOD to listen to in the car.