Saturday, December 19, 2009

A huge thankyou to the staff at Holy Cross Secondary School, Kingston!



A Open letter to the Staff of Holy Cross Secondary School

As my time here at Holy Cross draws to a close I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone here for such a wonderful year. Taking yourself, your work and your family and uprooting a comfortable existence to go and live in another country for a year is a big decision. When John and I first started talking about an exchange it was full of unknowns and before we left Australia there were still plenty of times when I wondered if I was doing the right thing.As soon as we arrived in Canada however, I was certain I was doing the right thing. 2009 has been an absolutely amazing year for my family and myself and I wouldn’t have missed the experience for anything.
We’ve travelled to many parts of Eastern Canada and the US, spent time exploring New York City, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec. We’ve been to Niagara Falls twice and spent several weekends experiencing the cottage life in various places around Ontario. We’ve seen bears, beavers, skunks, squirrels, racoons, ground hogs and a couple of moose! We’ve tried maple syrup, beaver tails, cod tongues and moose burgers! We now consider ourselves experts on how to survive a Canadian winter along with the other seasons. (I can almost drive at 80km per hour through a raging blizzard without flinching!)
We have enjoyed experiencing the Canadian lifestyle but mostly we got the chance to get to know Canada by getting to know Canadians. It has been the people we’ve met, far more than any other aspect of the exchange that has been the most rewarding and incredible aspect of our year. I have been blown away by the friendliness, acts of kindness and hospitality that has been shown to me and members of my family during our time here.
I wanted to thank everyone here at Holy Cross for making me feel so welcomed into the school community, and being so willing to help me, share ideas and talk about life in general and education in particular. I would particularly like to acknowledge my colleagues in the Social Science Department, the dedicated people who work in Special Ed and the support provided by all who work in Student Services. My special thanks is also extended to Admin and the wonderful ladies in the office. Your support and friendly faces are something I’ve come to value. This year, I’ve met many people here at Holy Cross with whom I’ve developed friendships and who I hope to be able to continue to stay in touch with in coming years.
My daughter Emily also attended Holy Cross and her transition from her Australian school to Canada was eased by the friendliness and professionalism of her teachers: Mike Hamilton, Carrie Rose, Karen Mulvihill, Diane McCombs, Stacy Check, Anne Macrow, Dan Roberts & Rob Watts. You are special people and I thank you for the care you have given to my daughter. She is very sad to be leaving.
The chance to experience a different work environment and a different educational system has been valuable both personally and professionally, and I have relished the opportunity to experience those differences. I will certainly return home to Australia with fresh ideas from the many great things that I’ve seen happening here at Holy Cross. What really stood out to me though, was the warmth and caring that you all show to the students you teach, and to each other. It is you, the staff, that makes this place great, and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of your community.

I suspect that I will be back here at some stage, and of course, if you’re ever in Australia I would love to be able to return some of your hospitality. Thanks again for everything you’ve done for me.

Sincerely, Veronica Harrold-Carter

No comments: