Friday, June 22, 2012

Beaver Dams & Bald Eagles

22.06.12
Beaver Dams & Bald Eagles!
I venture onto a lake and try kayaking!
Today Don took me to a fantastic lake not far out of Kingston for my first kayaking experience. I was not the first member of my family to venture here - John went with Don in 2009 when we were last here. A perfect summer's day with temps in the mid 20's made things seem comparatively cool. Canada's freshwater lake system is truly amazing. Australia is truly a dry continent when you think about it. We put in at Lower Rock and traversed through a creek replete with several Beaver Dams (one of which had to be cleared -by Don- before we could continue our passage. Upper 4
Rock Lake was quite deserted apart from a couple of Bald Eagles and several Loons who were quick to make themselves know. I even managed to get up relatively close and personal for a quick snap. The return trip was just as adventurous since I was entrusted to lead the way. The responsibility of having to locate the connecting creek weighed heavily on my mind as I attempted to remember and negotiate an array of notable landmarks. I quickly learnt the value of traveling rapidly upstream in order to successfully negotiate the Beaver Dam. After two goes at this tricky enterprise I enjoyed success! What a fun day.
The photos below give a panoramic viewpoint of the lake as well as the lovely Loon.

No comments: