Saturday, August 22, 2009

Marineland


Day 43: 22.08.09
August 22 will be synonymous with Marineland, Niagara Falls. It was kid’s day today and so we decided to take them to Marineland. This is a theme park with something for everyone. From a plethora of thrill seeking carnival rides to black bears and beluga whales there was something to keep everyone in the family amused. Upon arrival at the park, we decided to purchase a season pass – this was only five dollars more and enables us to return whenever we like until the end of the season. John was a bit shocked when he was asked if he was a senior – nonplussed, he replied in the affirmative – all to save a few dollars. I reluctantly went along with this, if only for the financial advantage. Needless to say, the kids were highly amused! To be honest, I dont exactly see myself as a senior yet!
Once inside the gate we headed for the walrus feeding display. This was both amusing and interesting. Then, giving in to Max’s insistence, we headed for the rides. Most were pretty tame, however, we needed to challenge ourselves on the upside down rollercoaster (Dragon Mountain) and the Sky Screamer – a 174 meter high attraction that pulls you up and drops you down at speeds of 90km per hour! We all went on Dragon Mountain – Max and I twice! Nick bravely accepted the challenge and really enjoyed the experience. Emily needed a little persuasion and so, against her better judgement, finally had a go just before we went home. I dont know if she’ll do it again but at least she can be proud of what she did.
As for the Sky Screamer, only John, Max and I accepted this challenge. As I was strapped in and sitting on the ride, I asked myself what I was doing there. I continued to wonder as we were catapulted to the top at high speed. Needless to say, the view from the top was pretty amazing. My legs were like jelly when I alighted from this ride.
After the rides, we took in lunch and a show with performing dolphins, sea lions and a walrus.
At the end of the day we were pretty much exhausted and needed to fortify ourselves with pop and fudge sundaes from Maccas on the way home!

No comments: