Friday, January 9, 2009

My Reflections after One week at Holy Cross

After my first week teaching at Holy Cross I feel it’s time for reflecting on all that’s passed. Firstly. I have found my classes to be very enjoyable. The kids have been welcoming and friendly. They are fascinated by my accent (What accent? I dont have an accent!) and have been asking me all sorts of questions about Australia. Most have very little idea about life in Australia. One boy even asked me if we had IPODS in Australia. Some students have heard of bands like “The Veronicas” but for most, their key perception of Australia is Steve Irwin and shark attacks. A few have asked me about snakes and spiders. I told them all about huntsman spiders and this pretty much freaked them out. Most are very impressed that we live near the beach and are envious that the kids at Carroll do surfing and fishing for sport. Emily has acquired a “cool” persona because she knows how to surf. Her new grade nine friends are very impressed! They cant believe that we barely have a frost during winter and most are dying to visit if they could.
Teaching here is great. I have three classes at the same time each day with only one duty per week for a five week block. There is no supervision at the recess break. Teachers only do duty in the cafeteria and during class time, patrol the halls. Several things really amazed me. Firstly there is no bus duty! There are about 50 buses that line up outside the school in the afternoon (Did I mention school ends at 2.30? This is great but it is dark by 4.30pm at the moment) Secondly, I walked past one of the doorways and was shocked to see a group of smokers puffing away during their break. When I asked if this was allowed, a teacher shrugged and said that they were meant to be off the property if they wanted a cigarette.
I have period two free each day which, coupled with the lunch break, effectively means I am free from 9.45 am to midday each day. Oodles of time for preparation and marking!
For those of you who have not experienced life in Canada, there is what they call a “Snow day”. We already had one of these in the first week due to freezing rain which makes driving almost impossible and the school buses are cancelled. Mind you, staff still have to come to school but they get to prepare and do what ever they need. Everyone here loves snow days.
My colleagues at school would be envious. This school has not one gym, but two!!!! There is also a two hundred seat lecture theatre and a workout weights room that anyone can use at any time. No outdoor events at this school!
Even though I started teaching on the fifth, and I am envious of everyone back home enjoying summer holidays, I’m not too worried as exams begin in another week. There is a two week time period for exams and students only come during exam time. There may be some supervision but mostly there is time for preparation and marking. I will use this time to prepare for my new classes in the coming semester.
Our kids have settled well into their respective schools. Max & Nick have started at a catholic elementary school in grades seven & four. They are going ice skating for sport over the next few weeks. Emily is in grade nine for this semester at my school and one of her subjects is phys ed. She does cross country skiing for sport. We did race out and buy the kids some cheap skates for sport so they could get in some practice before sport time so that they wouldn’t totally suck at skating. Canadians skate almost before they walk. Ice hockey is huge in this country. You can forget footy, cricket and all those Australian sports. In Canada, there is no other but Ice Hockey! The kids in my classes ask me if I watched the games over the weekend. I better try and understand it a little so that I can feign an interest. Some of Em’s new friends are taking her to a game in the near future.
The temperatures are to be believed. Today we had a top of about -9 degrees. Next Thursday the top temp is expected to be about – 25 (Yes. You read this correctly! A low of -28 and a top of -25!!!!!!!) On our first day here we tried to go for a walk but scrambled back to the car due to the cold. On the following day as soon as the shops opened we went and bought snow boots and thermal underwear. My boots are good to -40. I hope it doesn’t get that cold but they tell me it’s possible. Having said that however, even though it’s so cold, if it’s sunny and there is no wind, the temperature is quite tolerable. It is possible once you are suited up, to go for a walk. Inside is warm. (Read over heated) I wear a light long sleeve shirt whilst in school. There is a little change area in the staff room where people leave their winter clothes whilst at work. You almost forget that it’s winter until you step outside after school. I now understand what some of my friends who had been to Canada previously, were talking about when they described what it is like to get out of the house in the morning. You layer up, put on your jacket, gloves, beanie & snow boots before going to the car which you’ve started up 15 minutes earlier so that it doesn’t feel like you’re getting into an icebox. In fact, Emily left her water bottle in the car over night and it was frozen solid. I have also become intimately acquainted with a snow scraper – an essential tool in every Canadian car. After snow day and before I drove home, I spent a good ten minutes scraping ice off every window so that I could at least see driving home. Mind you, driving on snow covered roads was a little daunting but you just drive very slowly.
As for our travels and experiences, Kingston is a beautiful historic city – the original capital of Canada. We have already enjoyed free ice skating in the town square and fortified ourselves against the cold by drinking hot apple cider (Delicious!) Tomorrow, our neighbour is taking us tobogganing at Fort Henry. (Another Kingston historic site). We are enjoying Nth American fuel prices. Petrol (gas as they say in Canada is about 65c per litre) The sales are also great! The cost of living is much less here.
In two weeks we are travelling to Toronto for the exchange teacher’s orientation weekend. Hopefully, we will get to meet other Aussies and compare stories. We hope to go night skiing at this time. Our first exchange educational conference will take place in Quebec City in February. This weekend coincides with their winter carnival and we will be visiting a hotel carved entirely out of ice as well as touring the city which is supposed to be spectacular. Everyone at Carroll who has experienced this weekend has told me this is one event not to be missed.
The Canadian Exchange teachers organisation has organised several different events which we intend to attend. We can’t wait! This is what we are here for.
We’ve been here almost two weeks already. Time will fly. I know this is clichéd but true. We intend to embrace and treasure each moment. Before we know it, we will be back in Australia with many memories and experiences to share.
Stayed tuned to further updates as they occur. I dont regret this moove. Its great so far!

2 comments:

David said...

If it is any consolation, this winter is one of the coldest and snowiest in the last 20 yrs or so! The worst I ever found (in SW ontario mind you, about 3 to 5 deg warmer than kingston) was overnight low of -35, daytime high of -25. Enjoy it while it lasts, because by mid march it is mostly on the way out!

JSRN in The Bay said...

Sounds like you are all having a great start to your exchange. Time does fly while on exchange, so make sure you take advantage of those exchange weekends, but it sounds like you've planned for all that. John says to learn about hockey - feigning interest is not permitted (although that's what I do!!!)
David is my brother, btw.
We'll talk to you soon!
Susan