Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snow day. A First !!!!!

I am completing my blog from school this afternoon. We have a snow day! Apparently it's not all that common at Holy Cross. The teachers seemed pretty happy about it this morning and mind you, I'm not complaining either. It has given me the chance to sort through the room and see what I have to teach. I feel so much more on top of things.
Its surreal to be looking out of the window of my classroom to see snow falling. Its been consistent all day. We've had about 20cm so far. John shovelled his first driveway this morning- I'm sure the novelty of this will wear thin very sonn.
Life at Holy Cross is pretty good. The staff appear to be very friendly and welcoming. Many have gone out of their way to be accommodating to me. Emily had her first day at school here yesterday and found she was the centre of attention. The kids thought she was really cool because she knew how to surf. Overall, the kids here seem to be quite polite and friendly. They are respectful and have been kind to me so far. They think my accent is quaint and keep asking me different questions about Australia. The classes are fun to teach and I am easily dealing with the teaching content.
Likewise, the boys appear to have settled well into Mother Theresa. They have great teachers and have had no trouble forming friendships. They are going ice skating for sport over the next couple of weeks. That for them, is a real novelty.
In a couple of weeks we will be off to Quebec City for Winter Carnival and an exchange teacher's "Conference". This should be great. Everyone who has done this trip has raved about it.

5 comments:

Tanya Toohey said...

Thats good that they are settling in well. A snow day sounds awesome wish we had snow days(mainly because you get days off school unfortunately its not common jokes)That would be so cool to be doing ice skating as a sport( I've only been ice skating once).

Tanya Toohey said...

by the way madison made that last comment

M said...

TEHE lolp Annyway its too cold I want the sun and the surf. though we went tobaganning today which was good. So yeah=)

JVEMN in Canada said...

hi there

Anonymous said...

sup sup oh