Thursday, June 25, 2009

Secret Confessions of a Supply Teacher

SECRET CONFESSIONS OF A SUPPLY TEACHER
As the spouse of a teacher on exchange my main role this year has been to keep the domestics up to date, drive the kids to the million and one things they have to do, provide support to the full time worker in the family, and try to find as much part time employment as I can that doesn’t interfere with our travel plans.
My first job in Kingston was to deliver newspapers once a week. Each Thursday (rain, hail, shine or snow) I walked the streets of Kingston for eight hours. The first day was minus 27 degrees, the second it rained, but by the time I finished up and the snows had melted, I was actually enjoying the experience and my work colleagues.
Thanks to the kindness of Anne Wemp, the Secretary at Mother Teresa Elementary School, who rang one day in February and asked me to come in and teach French for a day, I was able to get a foot in the door at the Algonquin and Lakeshore District Catholic School Board, and I registered as an emergency teacher. Not much fun, as I only got called when there was absolutely no one else available, but it gave me a little work while I waited for my accreditation from the Ontario College of Teachers, the document you must have to teach in Ontario.
Some hastily organised references from Australia, and two interviews at the Catholic Board Office in Napanee, and I was accepted onto the Supply List, pending accreditation. This finally occurred on the 4th April, after a nine week wait, and I was ready to begin as a supply teacher.
Initial thoughts? I had never taught supply before, so it was fairly daunting to head into a different classroom or school each day with no knowledge of the students and a short time to acclimatise myself with the room, the school and the work. However, armed with my trusty toy kangaroo, koala (and at times Nick’s wombat!) I ventured forth, determined to make the best of the situation.
As we head into our summer break, I have now been teaching supply for about eleven weeks, and have had over thirty days of teaching, which has been a very positive experience and invaluable to our bank balance.
As the only Australian I know of on the supply list in Kingston, I am a bit of a novelty, but that has worked in my favour. Each new class gives me the opportunity to begin the day by telling them about myself, the exchange process, schools in Australia (especially my beloved Central Tilba Public School), and some of our native animals. I haven’t had a class yet that has not been interested to listen and find out about Australia. I’ve had many more great days than bad days, and have been honoured to think that some children have found me to be their best supply teacher ever!
I have been impressed with the way most Canadian children I have taught have been respectful and eager to work well. I have now taught all grades from One to Eight in ten different schools in Kingston, and have enjoyed nearly every day. I have often been stopped in the street or at sports ground by children I have taught so far and who want to say hello. Unfortunately, teaching so many for such a short time does not give me the chance to get to know many children well, but I am warmed by the fact that some children remember the day they were taught by the supply teacher from Oz!

No comments: